FOX CITIES Magazine invites your interest in being a part of our staff!
Individuals interested in relationship sales of high-quality publications, email Ruth Ann Heeter at email@example.com.
Wordsmiths interested in feature writing opportunities, email Amelia Compton Wolff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FOX CITIES Magazine offers internships in our editorial department, providing students with experience in the day-to-day operations of a monthly publication and up-to-the-minute digital channels. Balancing a variety of responsibilities, intern duties run the gamut from completing writing assignments to updating the many facets of foxcitiesmagazine.com.
Interns attend events, interview local leaders, write blog posts and craft meaningful stories about life in the Fox Cities. Interns do not fetch coffee. There are ample writing opportunities available on topics such as the local arts scene, dining trends, home, health and personality profiles.
We are dedicated to equipping editorial interns with real-life experience. It matters to us that they leave our company with knowledge to assist them in their future career endeavors.
Besides the colleges and universities close to home, we look to other institutions around the state and consider applicants of all backgrounds and degrees. We do not discriminate based on race and sex. We are drawn to dedicated and unique personalities, which complement our fast-paced, demanding industry. We offer flexible scheduling within the 9-5 timeframe. Interns are expected to commit to roughly 8-10 hours per week. The internship is unpaid, but students can choose to pursue college credit as an option.
Interns finesse research and reporting/editing skills while getting an inside look at the workings of a monthly publication.
- Assist the editor with research
- Update calendars and guides
- Set up and conduct interviews with sources
- Write pullout articles, artist spotlight and/or feature articles
- Update web content (Dining Guide, Events Calendar, features, blog)
- Organize copy and small office projects
- Proofread and fact-check copy for print and online
- Update foxcitiesmagazine.com
- Contribute to the FCM blog and social media outlets
- Participate in editorial planning meetings
- Must be a sophomore, junior or senior studying journalism or English. Previous writing experience preferred, but not required. Graduates looking for an unpaid position to gain experience also are encouraged to apply.
- Candidates should be enthusiastic and motivated idea generators who are willing to learn, able to meet deadlines and flexible.
- Proficiency in various social media platforms and blogging desired.
Applications are accepted year round. Send cover letter, résumé and writing samples to Amelia Compton Wolff, Fox Cities Magazine, P.O. Box 2496, Appleton WI 54912; or email materials to email@example.com.