“As someone who is sober-curious, yet still indulges in a drink now and then, do you have any recipes for a low-alcohol cocktail that still feels special?” —Sammie, Appleton
Here is a relatively low-alcohol recipe I’d like to share. This Key Lime Pie Cocktail garnered First Place in a libation contest in Kingsford, Michigan several years ago. If executed correctly, the cocktail should taste just like Key Lime Pie with each sip.
Chef Jeff’s Key Lime Pie Cocktail
Makes approximately 8 drinks
1 can/12 oz. limeade frozen concentrate
3 cans/36 oz. water
1 cup/8 oz. Bacardi Superior Rum
1-2 drops green food coloring
1 can/14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1 cup/8 oz. heavy cream
4 cups ice cubes
Green decorating sugar, as needed
2 slices fresh lime per drink
1. Thoroughly combine the frozen limeade concentrate, water and rum. Adjust the color to your preference with green food coloring.
2. Combine the sweetened condensed milk with the heavy cream and whip until it has a medium body. Excessive aeration is not necessary.
3. Distribute the ice into rocks (old fashioned style) glasses. Pour the limeade and rum over the ice, leaving about ½ inch unfilled at the top of each glass.
4. Spoon the sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream mixture onto the top of the drinks until distributed.
5. Garnish with a light sprinkle of green decorating sugar and a slice of lime.