Come join the talented team at FOX CITIES Magazine. We are currently seeking an Art Director to lead the design department of the Valley’s premiere monthly city magazine and family of quality publications.
The Art Director creates and oversees the look of the monthly publication as well as annual specialty publications, making them vibrant, fresh, and smart for a sophisticated reader; Hires and manages freelance photographers; Oversees/approves all design elements of the magazine and all the photos, illustrations, and graphics that appear in it; Coordinates the work of multiple departments, including sales and editorial, through production planning to ensure that project deadlines are met; Makes sure the magazine’s overall brand, including the website and other print products, has a consistent visual presentation; Works directly with print vendors to ensure that accuracy and quality standards are achieved; Organizes and prepares digital files, mock-ups and instructions for printer; Designs marketing pieces, sales materials as well as internal and external informational materials; Oversees photoshoots and take photos as needed; Creates, implements and maintains organizational procedures to increase efficiency; Serves as a client point-of-contact and provides customer service during ad creation; Conceptualizes new projects; Sources vendors as needed; Conceptualizes social media campaigns, blog posts and contests to promote readership across various platforms.
- BFA or BA in graphic design, art or similar field of study.
- At least 4 years of editorial design experience at a consumer magazine or agency.
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite required.
- Knowledge of hardware and software on Mac platform and ability to troubleshoot when necessary.
- Ability to take photos on DSLR camera required.
- Ability to manage and motivate designers.
- Ability to work well with editors in conceiving stories that work well visually.
- A strong creative vision and ability to produce high-impact work within a budget.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and hit deadlines.
FOX CITIES Magazine offers internships in our editorial department, providing students with experience in the day-to-day operations of a monthly publication and up-to-the-minute digital channels. Balancing a variety of responsibilities, intern duties run the gamut from completing writing assignments to updating the many facets of foxcitiesmagazine.com. Interns attend events, interview local leaders, write blog posts and craft meaningful stories about life in the Fox Cities. Interns do not fetch coffee.
There are ample writing opportunities available on topics such as the arts scene, dining trends, home, health and personality profiles. FOX CITIES Magazine is dedicated to equipping editorial interns with real life experience; it matters to us that you leave our company with materials for your portfolio.
Currently, all interns are working remotely. When in-office work resumes, we offer flexible scheduling within the 9-5 time frame. Interns are expected to commit to roughly 10 hours per week, whether in office or remote. The internship is unpaid, but students can choose to pursue college credit as an option.
As an intern, you will:
- Assist with research
- Update foxcitiesmagazine.com
- Proofread and fact-check copy for print and online
- Set up and conduct interviews with sources
- Write pullout pieces, Artist Spotlights and features
- Contribute to the FCM blog and social media outlets
- Participate in editorial planning meetings
Must be a sophomore, junior or senior studying Journalism or English with previous print and online writing experience preferred. Proficiency in various social media platforms and blogging required.
Candidates should be enthusiastic and motivated idea generators who are willing to learn, able to meet deadlines and flexible. Those content with the status quo or afraid of approaching strangers for interviews need not apply.
Applications are accepted year round. Send cover letter, resume and three journalistic writing samples to Amelia Compton Wolff, senior editor, FOX CITIES Magazine, P.O. Box 2496, Appleton WI 54912-2496, or email materials to [email protected]
Come join the talented team at FOX CITIES Magazine. We are currently seeking individuals interested in relationship sales of high-quality publications.
Send cover letter, resume and references to [email protected]